Ensure a Clean, Safe Chimney.
A fireplace can be an inviting place to snuggle up when it's cold outside, and it can provide a cozy atmosphere for spending time with friends and family.
The chimney needs to be clear; otherwise sing bingo sister sites smoke will back up into the home, having no other place to vent.Excess creosote and build-up can cause a chimney fire.Open the damper of your fireplace, the metal flap located just inside the chimney near the front of the fireplace.You can place crumpled newspaper below the grate as well.Ensure the chimney has been swept and is free of creosote and soot build-up.Install Safety Equipment, install a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector before you use your fireplace.Do not leave a fire unattended.
This will alert you if excessive smoke builds up or if carbon monoxide, an invisible, dangerous gas, is present.
Keep the damper open whenever you use your fireplace to provide proper ventilation.
Typically, you pull the damper down to open and push it up to close.
Stack your wood logs horizontally on top of the kindling, in a criss-cross pattern, leaving a few gaps for air flow.
Ensure the fire is fully extinguished before leaving the house or retiring to bed for the night.
There should also be a flue cover at the top of the chimney to prevent sparks that could cause exterior roof or building fires.Lighting a fire in a fireplace is a fairly quick process, but xperia z5 sd slot using a fireplace for the first time requires a few extra steps to ensure safety and a successful fire.Check for Debris, check the chimney for birds' nests or other debris.Get a Screen, place a fire screen or metal fire curtain in front of the fire to prevent sparks and fallen wood pieces from falling onto carpet or nearby furniture.Install a fire extinguisher close by in case of emergency.Preparing Your Kindling, prepare the kindling by placing small sticks or wood pieces and a few sheets of crumpled newspaper on top of the internal fireplace grate.